I prefer to keep things simple. We (you and I) agree a work specification, and a contract, to our mutual satisfaction. This will usually cover:
- Content details.
- Communication methods.
- IPR/ownership of materials produced for this work.
- Payment details.
I do the work according to specification and within the agreed timeframe.
While working, I greatly prefer to use efficient and non-disruptive communications. In other words, email is often best, followed by voice Skype. If your operational procedures require frequent face-to-face meetings, I may not be a suitable person to undertake work for you.
Academia and research
Most of my work since 1992, as either a self-employed researcher or as a researcher, editor or project or service manager, has been for or within universities and education funding bodies. Consequently, I am very familiar with academic procedures, and research and publishing systems, especially in the UK.
I am a member of:
- The editorial board of Ariadne, covering games and gamification in the library and information science sectors.
- The editorial board of the journal of Digital Culture and Education.
- The board of the International Journal of Serious Games.
- The conference committee of the 2016 Playful Learning Conference.
I am registered as self-employed in the UK, and always work to legally-binding contracts covering specification, schedule, deliverables and payments.